Friday, March 16, 2007

Free Falling!



During this pregnancy, I haven't been very excited to purchase new things for myself, however today I picked up a new boot. Not two, just one (I didn't want to splurge). As you can see, today my clumsy self took a spill. You would have laughed had you been there, so it's okay if you want to now. Though I wasn't laughing when it happened, I can now.

Over my lunch break, I headed to Lowe's to pick up a few items. On my way back to the car, my heel got caught in a hole and I bit it hard. It happened in slow motion in my mind - my purchases went flying all over the place, I lost my shoe and my arms were wailing around as I tried to stabilize myself. I was unsuccessful in maintaining my balance though, and in order to protect my belly, I fell awkwardly on my right foot instead.

After two nice men peeled me off the ground and helped me gather my belongings, I went home to ice it. It immediately began swelling, and unfortunately the ice didn't help much. I tried to move it around, but when I could barely put pressure on it, I decided it was time to go to the doctor. I phoned my OB since I wasn't sure if I could even have an x-ray, but she assured me that I could if I wore a lead apron. Since the baby had been moving around all afternoon, we weren't concerned that it was hurt.


I didn't want to go to the emergency room, so we went to one of the doc-in-boxes instead. The doctor and Steve looked at the x-ray and determined that it was a hairline fracture...we think. I say "think" because (bless his heart) the doctor wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed. And though Steve doesn't have his medical license, he was the one who pointed out the crack. Either way, he gave me this gorgeous boot to wear for the next 4-6 weeks.


Now those of you who know me well, know that I won't be wearing that thing for the full time, but at least it helps me get around. The only bad thing is that it is my right foot, so I either have to learn to drive better with my left foot, or I need to take off the boot everytime I drive (such a pain in my rear).
So the next time you see some poor schmuck hobbling around in one of these things - think of me.

No comments: