Friday, January 18, 2008

Whew...what a night!

Snow has been predicted for Birmingham this weekend, and according to Steve, the grocery store will be packed today with people buying food like they may not leave the house for a week. Since we had to go out, we decided to pack Bennett up and go out to dinner first. We headed to one of our favorite Mexican places and enjoyed a great dinner. Near the conclusion of our dinner Bennett starting grunting. We always think it is so funny, so we waited for her to finish and then I went to the bathroom to change her diaper.

As I pulled down her pants carefully, I noticed that the outside of her diaper was covered in it, as were her little legs, and now socks as I continued to pull the pants down. She didn't mind, and was in fact happy to have them off and started joyfully kicking her legs (getting it on my shirt, on her changing pad and the restaurant changing table). It was a complete mess, and I didn't know where to start. I tore the diaper off and noticed that nothing was even in the diaper...it somehow bypassed it and went straight out the side. I cleaned her up well, using half of the wipes. I stuffed her poopy pants into a baggie (thank goodness I had one in her diaper bag), and started rummaging through her bag for a diaper. I opened up a little pouch where I keep the diapers and it was EMPTY! Can you believe it?! I couldn't, so I kept digging through her bag thinking that maybe one fell out in the bag. As I realized that I was wrong and that I didn't have a diaper, I started to improvise. I used one of her burp clothes as a temporary diaper (keep in mind I did not have pins to secure it, nor a plastic cover to really protect her), and pulled on a new pair of pants. I rushed out to Steve (who was trying to be patient since we were in there forever) and told him the story.

We prayed that she wouldn't tee-tee and hightailed it to the grocery store where we could buy a real diaper. Steve went in to change her, and of course she had and was already soaked through her new pair of pants. He put the diaper on her, covered her with a blanket and told me to hurry as we shopped. When we got home, we gave her a warm bath and cleaned her up. I really don't think she knew any different, but I sure learned my lesson...check the diaper bag before leaving!

2 comments:

Courtney & Dave Long said...

OMG - this is hilarious! (sorry, i know it was probably stressful, but it's a great story!) i remember we visited dave's parents for church when he was only a few weeks old and he needed a diaper change. so i changed him in the nursery at the church. later, we were at the country club the long's belong to when lawson needed a poopy diaper change. i realized i left the wipes in the nursery at the church!! i totally panicked, but fortunately, dave's mom helped me by using the (really nice) handtowels in the ladies room! sounds like you handled it well all by yourself! :)

Jeff and Lindsey said...

This happens to everyone just ONE time! It only happens once because you never forget it and vow to check that dang bag every single time you walk out the door until the baby is like 18!!! Anderson's incident was when he was about 6 months old and we were at the mall. NOT FUN!!!