Sunday, February 15, 2009

Mercedes Marathon

This morning we got up and headed to Highland Park to watch a portion of the marathon. Our main reason for attending was to support our friend, Sara, who was running the half marathon (her first). It was a little chilly, but we enjoyed the excitement. Though I enjoy running a few miles at a time, I always get pumped up after watching a race, and start getting big ideas that I could actually run a half marathon (or a full one). Then I remind myself of my knees that pop and my toes that are permanently numb and say that



I could never do that. However, we are proud of everyone who can! It is amazing to see the variety of runners, and witness all of the different running styles and paces. We saw an older man and cheered him on, and he yelled back "not too bad for a 72 year old, huh?" Not bad at all!! We were also there when what I presume to be the winner made his second loop (at mile 21). He was still flying and appeared to not be having any difficulty (truly amazing).

Since Bennett loves to people watch, she got a kick out of everyone running by. She even got in the mood some and started running on the sidewalk (away from us of course). We all had fun, and were happy that we got up early. Perhaps next year Steve will run the half....

1 comment:

Chelsea said...

Don't you love the excitement of a race? I always feel motivated too when I there, then something happens when I get back home....

Cute pic of Bennett hugging Spence. He looks quite tolerant "yeah. yeah. just take the picture already..."