Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Bennett's 1st Ballet Class

Today was Bennett's first day of ballet. She was excited to wear her tutu, and since we had been talking about it for awhile, she was genuinely excited when we pulled into the parking lot. She asked me "Mama dance?" When I said "Yes," she said "Yeah" and started clapping.


We were off to a great start, but when we got inside, she didn't want to wear her ballet slippers (she is into being barefoot lately). Thankfully you are not forced to wear the slippers, so she was happy. Once class started the children filtered into the room. A few of the mothers, myself included, stayed in the room for several minutes to make sure the kids got acclimated. She was interested in the teacher and her box full of goodies, so I left. However, as soon as Bennett turned around to say something to me and realized I was gone, she started crying. And by crying, I mean bawling. She pathetically went to the double-sided window and just sat there and boo-hoo'ed for 30 minutes until snot was pouring from her nose and she was on the verge of hyperventilating. Several times the teacher tried to pick her up or hold her hand, but she reared backwards onto the floor and screamed "No!"


Now, I was watching this whole episode from the other side of the glass, but was being told by the other moms to not go in and "rescue her." I was fine with letting her cry, because she usually would stop. But today was different...she just continued.


For those that know me, you know how I hate to hear children crying. So I finally caved and went into the room. She immediately ran to me and said "mama bye-bye now." Of course I made her stick out the rest of the class, but she wouldn't let me leave, nor would she participate with the other kids.


Unfortunately we are going to miss next week's class, so when we return in two weeks, I am sure we will have a similar incident all over again. Hopefully by the end of the summer she will have enjoyed this class, and have learned a few moves.

1 comment:

Courtney Long said...

oh, it makes my heart hurt. i bet it will get better though. she looks so cute!