Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Why Oh Why??

Okay, I must admit that I have been blessed with the happiest son ever! However, he has become the biggest pain this past week. Shortly after returning from our trip, he decided that he doesn't want to sleep anymore. He has been boycotting morning naps, and sleeping about an hour in the afternoon. He wakes up, stands up and just cries. I have tried letting him "cry it out" for various stints up to 30 minutes, but he just starts hyperventilating and crying harder. Though I know he is exhausted, he continues to stand as if he has forgotten how to sit back down (and go to sleep).

It wouldn't be so bad if it was happening just during the day because it isn't like he is crabby. However, he has been waking up at night and pulling the same thing! Since Steve has to work, I can't just leave him in there crying, so I go to him always. He falls back to sleep almost instantly in my arms, but as soon as I lie him back down, he pops up and starts crying again. We have repeated the process over and over again, but after being up for an hour in the middle of the night for several days in a row, I started succumbing to bringing him back to bed with me. I know....I am eating my words! I hate that he is coming to bed with us too! I can't rest soundly knowing that he could quietly wake up and crawl/fall off the bed. So I sleep very lightly and constantly open one eye to make sure he is still there between us.

He sleeps pretty good in our bed, but if he awakes, he expects to be held. It truly has become exhausting in every way. He weighs over 22 lbs so he is breaking my back, disrupting my daily routine and interrupting my sleep something terrible!

Anyway, for you mothers reading this...if you have ANY advice, please share. I called my pediatrician today, but when I gave the reason for my call as "my baby isn't sleeping" I guess they didn't think it was very important because I didn't even get a return call. What the heck!
Steve thinks that he is getting close to walking, and that is causing him to not want to sleep. Whatever it is causing this, I want it to stop!

3 comments:

Jeff and Lindsey said...

Lydia has gone through these spells a few times. They usually last about two weeks and then she just magically re-adjusts and goes back to normal...WHo knows! Hang in there!

courtney said...

Sleep deprivation is the worst! I feel for you! You may remember Lawson was NOT a good sleeper initially and then he got out of wack again while we were between houses. The only thing that gets him sleeping again is just crying it out, like you said. Sometimes it has gone on for almost 3 hours before he gives up. It's hard, but usually after 2 or 3 days, he's normal again. Steve may want to sleep somewhere else!

Julie said...

Thanks for the words of wisdom girls!