Sunday, November 29, 2009

Thanksgiving in Peoria

We made a last minute decision to come to Peoria for Thanksgiving this year. Since we had no one to spend the actual day of Thanksgiving with, we started talking about going to Peoria to see my folks (and my brother and his family would be there too). Since I have been a mommy full-time, I can make these decisions to go out of town much easier...I just pack up my car and go! Steve had to work a couple of days, so I drove up with the kids and Spence on Sunday, and he flew in Tuesday night.


I was dreading the long drive by myself, but miraculously my children were perfect angels (I know...shocking)! We made very good time, and no one cried for the entire 10 hours...THANK YOU GOD!! We stayed with my parents until Steve arrived, and then checked into a hotel for the remainder of our stay since Brian and his family were staying with my folks. The weather wasn't too cool initially, so we were able to get out and do things daily.



Once Brian's family arrived, my kids had others to play with and they all had fun with their grandparents. My father bought a little pedal car for Bennett and Christian to ride. It was a big hit, even with Preston who loved to just sit in it and be pushed up and down the driveway.


Of course, no trip is the same without my beloved dog, Spence, who was also given special treatment during his stay. When we checked into the hotel, he stayed back at my parent's and slept with them at night. Unlike here, Spence got a treat every time he went outside to go potty because my parent's dogs got one (spoiled I know). So needless to say, he didn't lose any weight while he was there.















The day after Thanksgiving we attended the oldest Santa Claus Parade in the nation in my hometown of Peoria, IL. It is 128 years old, and we were all there in the frigid 30 something degree weather. The kids were enjoying it initially, grabbing candy and pointing at the various floats. Christian even "played" his horn as the different bands walked by. But as the sun moved, and the parade continued, we all started to get restless and cold. So we sought refuge in a warm bar and enjoyed a cool one in front of the window overlooking the parade (a much better place in my opinion).











But before we headed inside, Bennett was given a bracelet from the child who recently was built a new home on Extreme Home Makeovers in Peoria. She also filled a bag full of candy (to share with her Mommy of course)! Preston got bored quickly since we wouldn't let him run into the street to touch every float and band member that walked by. The longer we held him, the sleepier he became until he finally gave up and took a short nap.


Henley loved all of the excitement though, and didn't poop out until the ride home!



















So all and all, it was a great Thanksgiving! I am so thankful for all of our family members, and all that they do for my family. I am thankful for my loving husband, who does so much for me and the kids and works so hard at his job. I am thankful for my beautiful, healthy, and happy children, and all of the joy that they bring to my life daily. And I am thankful for my devoted dog, who loves me no matter how bad of a mood I am in and even when I don't take him on walks. I have a very blessed life, and I know I owe all of that to God, who I am so very thankful for too! I hope all of you had wonderful Thanksgivings!!

1 comment:

Chelsea said...

Looks like a fun visit. You are a brave one to tackle the drive alone with two kids. Glad everyone was well behaved for you!