Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep

Since Bennett was about one year old, we have been saying prayers with her. Rather than saying the "Lord's Prayer" with her, we decided to choose a shorter child's prayer:


Now I lay me down to sleep,

I pray the Lord my soul to keep;

Should I die before I wake,

I pray the Lord my soul to take


For the past month or so she has been able to half recite it on her own. And I must admit, it is amongst the sweetest words spoken from her. She still gets tripped up some, forgetting the third line half the time, and always saying "soul to keep" at the end of both stances, but she almost has it.
video

3 comments:

Kelley said...

Love it! We've taught that one to Hudson and it is so sweet to hear him say it, even though he goes super fast and says "I pray the Lord my soul to take...should I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take!"....my favorite w/ him is his version of "God is great, God is good..."

Anonymous said...

Soo sweet! Love her southern accent! XO Betsy

Chelsea said...

Adorable. Especially love her little "AY-MEN" at the end!

This prayer used to freak me out when I was little, because I was afraid I actually WOULD die in my sleep. I teach Wyatt the version that says
"Angels watch me through the night, until I wake in morning light".