Thursday, March 4, 2010

Here...Kitty Kitty

Today we went to the zoo. We needed to get out of the house and run off some energy, and it was finally sunny. I figured some of the animals would not be on display, but what I didn't know was how many.


You see our zoo is under major construction while we add the "Trails to Africa" exhibit. The Birmingham Zoo is going to be a national leader in the care and conservation of threatened elephants. This new area will be a mixed-species exhibit featuring elephant, red river hogs, giraffes, rhinos, wildebeest, impala, kudu, zebras and ostriches (many of the animals that Steve and I saw on our African safari 5 years ago). I really enjoy visiting the zoo with my children, and can't wait for it to be completed! Since they are just in the land clearing stage right now, I assume it will unfortunately be another year before it is finished.
Until then, we will continue to visit the sea lions, primates and large cats. As you can see from these photos, they do NOT scare my kids. In fact, they like to get up real close to the glass and "scare" the tigers. Both of them were laughing so hard every time the tiger came to the window. And truth be told, I think the tiger liked the attention because the window was covered in slobber due to him licking it.

No comments: