Monday, April 12, 2010

Call Me Crazy

Call me crazy....Saturday night we decided to take the kids camping at Oak Mountain Park, overnight! I say call "me" crazy because this was entirely my idea and Steve only went along as a favor to me. I have always enjoyed camping, and had my own gear from my camping trips in Illinois. However, Steve has never been camping before, and thus had no supplies or a true desire to go (not to mention it was Master's weekend and he hated to leave the TV).




When the OTM Mom's Club organized this camping trip, I signed our family up! I then went and bought the kids and Steve new sleeping bags. The weather couldn't have been more perfect, sunny with highs in the 70s and lows in the mid 40s. But this past week, our whole family has been suffering from the pollen....sneezing, coughing and runny noses. Though I knew being outdoors for an extended period could wreak havoc on all of us, I did not want to miss out on a chance to take the family for their first camping trip!


This is something I always thought could be a fun "thing" for us to do when we roadtrip. My family did not camp growing up, but I have always enjoyed it as an adult and thought it could be a fun way to spend a few spring or summer nights every year as a family. My only problem is that Steve did not grow up camping, and really has no desire to sleep on the ground when he could sleep in a perfectly comfortable bed. However to me, it is being outside, creating traditions, and letting the kids be able to explore that is fun. So after I explained to Steve my feelings, he reluctantly agreed to go (and he never once complained about it....that is why I love my husband!).















So Saturday arrived, and though we were the last ones to arrive of the 10 families, we set our tent up in a hurry, cracked open our first beer and started mingling right away. The kids had a ball exploring the site and playing with the other kids. They had a true campfire dinner: hotdogs, chips, fruit and s'mores, and then the kids all got into a group and told ghost stories. I say this loosely because all they really did was hold a flashlight up to their face and mention monsters and anything else scary that they could think of. Then it was bedtime.

Steve walked Pres around until he fell asleep while I laid down with Bennett in the tent. That part of the evening was a success, both kids passed out quickly. However, everytime Steve tried to lie Preston down in the tent, he fussed. So we held him until we went to sleep, and when we still couldn't get him to sleep in his own sleeping bag, I allowed him to lie on my chest all night. I know he wasn't feeling too hot, coughing and suffering from a runny nose, but with 27 lbs of love on my chest...I started feeling bad myself! After 5-6 hours of on and off crying, coughing and sneezing, I really starting doubting my decision to take our family out there. But when Preston starting wailing at 4am and I couldn't console him, Steve and I decided to hit the road!
We threw everything we had in the back of our car and went home. The kids were asleep again before we even exited the camp, and transferred easily to their beds once we got home. I think we all would rather sleep in our own beds. After a couple of hours of sleep, our day began as normal...ugh! Needless to say, it was a loooong Sunday!
I loved that we tried something new with the kids, but when we try camping again (you notice I said "when" and not "if"), it will be when both kids are allergy-free and a little older. I just hope I can convince Steve to come with us!

3 comments:

Mary Michael said...

I was wondering if you were taking the kids. You are a very brave woman! We go camping every year in the Smokeys and Ash just asked me if I thought Lucy should come this year and I didn't just say no but hell no! :)

And when I say camping, I do mean tents but I also mean big blow up mattresses, body pillows, etc. :)

Anonymous said...

I thought you meant you and Steve were camping....brave for sure! I recall so many FUN camping trips with you! These days my idea of camping is an air conditioned cabin with a cozy bed! :) Betsy

Mizerany Family said...

Steve's idea of camping is pitching a tent in the backyard for the kids to sleep in while he is tucked into his own bed! Sissy!
:)