Sunday, June 27, 2010

Bugs, Bugs and More Bugs!

Now that Bennett is 3 yrs old, she will be starting 3K Preschool in the fall. Since both of the kids also attend summer school, I could elect to keep her in her previous class, or move her to her new "big school." The two year olds only go Monday and Wednesday, but the three year olds can attend Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I hemmed and hawed about it, but finally decided to send her to her new school now so I could spend some alone time with Preston on Friday mornings.


It has worked out great, and turned out to be one of the best decisions I made for Bennett. She absolutely loves her new "big school." She loves the change in curriculum, her new teachers, and her new classmates. Each week of summer school they have a theme, and last week was bugs. I sent her to school with an empty mayonnaise jar and she decorated it with stickers. Her teacher told them all about different bugs, and gave them each a cricket last Wednesday. Bennett was so excited with her new pet, and she never left him out of her site. She would carry him (we assumed it was a boy....don't ask me why) to her bedroom when she took a nap or went to bed, take him with her in car when we ran errands, held him in her lap when she watched movies on the sofa, etc. Preston was enthralled with him too, always looking at him and saying "bug."


Ms Celia (her teacher) put a little slice of an apple in there, and this cricket managed to survive on this food for 10 days. He was still alive, though he was missing one leg, when I let him go last night in our yard. That poor thing had been startled so much in the past 10 days with the kids dropping his "home" and him rolling around on the kitchen counter, I honestly was shocked to hear him chirp each day. Bennett had lost interest in him the past few days, so I decided to put him out of his misery and let him go.


However, both kids are still fascinated with bugs, so when we saw this HUGE green bug crawling on our car after church, we drove home very slowly so he wouldn't blow off and the kids could get an up close look at him. Does anyone know what he is? He is the largest insect I have ever seen, probably measuring 1 inch thick and a few inches long. When we were staring at him, I could see his little yellow eyes looking back at us with his extra long antennas blowing in the wind.


Anyway, summer is in full force here, so we will have plenty of opportunities to explore more. One night I will have to help the kids catch lightening bugs - that was always a fun time for me as a kid.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Julie, I love reading updates on your family. The insect is a female Katydid though I can't tell which one. It's great seeing the kids interested in nature.
Jo