Thursday, June 24, 2010

Just Do It!

At the beginning of this year Steve received a pedometer from his company for a competition that they were holding. KBR wants to encourage a healthier lifestyle and wanted to see how many people could reach 1 million steps by the end of September. He got off to a great start, and has been extremely diligent about moving his pedometer to any shoe he is wearing (running shoes, work shoes, even flip-flops). Initially he was coming home and telling me how many steps he was averaging each day and week, which was making me so upset that I couldn't be apart of it.

For those that know me, you won't be surprised to know that I wanted a pedometer too so I could compete against him! With Valentine's Day right around the corner...guess what I got for my gift? Yep, my very own pedometer. Unfortunately mine is not as user-friendly as Steve's. It requires a special watch and the pedometer needs to be tied on to a shoe (not clipped). So it doesn't work for my standard uniform of shorts, t-shirts and flip-flops.

Though I can only use it when I am working out, I must admit it has made me work out more often. Back in January I decided I needed to get off my duff, and start exercising again. It started off slow, but after I got my pedometer things started to build. Then I started walking with my friend, Allyson a few days a week. We started off walking a couple of miles, and then it grew to 4-6 miles, with us averaging 5-5.5 miles several times a week now.

A few months ago, I learned to set goals on the Nike website for myself, and I am happy to say that I have successfully met two now. My most recent goal was to walk/run 100 miles in 4 weeks (averaging 25 miles/week). Allyson and I had easily been averaging that several weeks ago, so I didn't think it was unreasonable when I set it. However, with my weekend away and the temperatures averaging 95 degrees for the past two weeks, it has been more difficult to exercise outside. So I really had to press myself to get up early and do it, or go to the gym.

I am happy to say I am back at the gym, running and walking on the treadmill and now lifting weights several days a week. I feel SOOO much better and have definitely seen a change in my mental health and my body! Steve is doing great with his million step challenge, and shouldn't have a problem reaching it. He is even making it to the gym a couple days a week. We are both bound and determined to be more fit, and we learned that it wasn't going to happen with us sitting on the sofa.

So people...get off your duffs and JUST DO IT!!

No comments: