Monday, January 17, 2011

Exhausting 48 Hours!

Being a mother is not always an easy job, especially a stay-at-home mother.  As a young adult, I never thought that I would choose to be at home with my children, but I must admit I really do treasure so much of my time with them.  They have such unique personalities, and I love watching the two of them interact.

However, I have always lacked in an area that is key to being a good parent.....patience.  Having children has helped a little, but definitely not enough.  I expect so much from my children (which I know is wrong), and get so easily irritated when things don't go the way I planned (I also know this is wrong).  So as I finish my 8th load of laundry in 3 days, let me summarize why I need a break...

Since we just finished 10 days of antibiotics for both kids, I thought we were on the mend and I could send both kids back to school again.  However, I awoke at 5am Saturday morning to Preston screaming.  I walked into his room to see why and found that he had thrown up all over his himself and his crib (thankfully it was contained to just the crib).  So I stripped it down, and tried to rock him back to sleep.  He laid in my arms calmly, but never did fall back to sleep for an hour and a half.  Since we heard Bennett stirring in the other room, we walked out to see what was going on.  She and Steve were snuggled up in our bed watching a cartoon, so we moved in beside them.  I had barely gotten under the covers when Pres threw up all over me and our bed (UGH!!).  So began our laundry for the day....

The day seemed to be improving some, so Steve and I each escaped to the gym for a little "me time" and I finished remaking the two beds with clean sheets!  Pres and Bennett played well all morning and he seemed to be acting fine, so we were shocked when he threw up again right before his afternoon nap.  I then started my 4th load of laundry, while Steve gave Pres his 2nd bath of the day and then I washed the floor.  Since we were both exhausted, we fixed a low-key dinner, put the kids down at 8pm and we were asleep by 9pm!!

Though Pres kept a midnight cup of milk down (he begged for it and I was exhausted, so I caved), I kept him home from church since it hadn't be 24 hrs yet.  While Steve and Bennett went to pray for us, we headed to the grocery store.  He has acting fine and all seemed to be going well.  We made plans with friends to have a playdate on Monday since the kids are out of school, ate a delicious dinner that Steve cooked, gave the kids a bath and watched Toy Story with them before bed.

I gave Pres his last cup of milk for the day, while we were watching the movie, and then I heard the infamous cough, which quickly led to him throwing up everything he had consumed that day.  He literally emptied his tummy right there in our living room.  Fortunately I was able to get him off the our new rug in time, but he had such force behind his puking, that it splattered onto a chair and the rug some.  For you mothers, it was the gross, smelly kind of throw-up (the cottage cheese looking, stinky dairy kind).  As I gagged while cleaning it up, I was cursing under my breath at the next mound of laundry that was just created.  Of course, Pres can't help it.  He obviously has some sort of nasty little bug, so why am I upset??  I know I shouldn't be, but my goodness, can I have a break from my laundry room please?  I did loads 7 and 8 last night before bed, while Steve gave Pres yet another bath (he is the cleanest kid on the block) and put him down.

Due to this crazy bug Pres has, I had to cancel our playdate today.  However, my girlfriends still invited Bennett over to play with their little girls, so I dropped her off at 10am, and they brought her home at 2pm!  Thank you Shanon, Mary Michael and Katie for entertaining Bennett this morning and feeding her lunch.  It was nice to only worry about one child all morning.  Now both kids are napping and I am going to iron some of Steve's shirts and relax a little.  

5 comments:

Lisa said...

you know my story??? I prayed for patience and found out I was pregnant with twins (really!!). I remember days just like the one you described and I remember feeling angry and then feeling guilty. You are real and normal!! I remember cleaning up a "mess" and saying under my breath, "I will give thanks in all things - all things - all things!!" Hope everyone else stays well! Hang in there - you are a wonderful mom.

Mizerany Family said...

Thank you Lisa for your kind, reassuring words. It means so much coming from a such a good, Christian woman!

courtney said...

i saw your comment come across on my email, so i had to take quick peek at your sickness story (a good reason to procrastinate on the presentation I'm supposed to be working on) - anyway, wow, that does not sound like any fun at all! bless your heart! i hope pres feels better soon, and that you get a break from the laundry room! and, with parents like you and steve, any fleeting shortcomings you may think you have will be covered a hundred times over by your wonderful personalities and love for your children!

Kelley said...

So sorry P had the bug....sounds just the one H and LA had last week.....

Anonymous said...

Wow - not fun!! Sure hope he is feeling better and the rest of your house doesn't catch the bug. You're too hard on yourself - you are such a wonderful mother and everyone would be out worn out after that day! XO Betsy