Friday, May 6, 2011

Regions Tradition at Shoal Creek

Years ago Birmingham's Shoal Creek golf course was the home to two PGA Championships (back in 1984 and then again in 1990). This year, 21 years later, a major championship returned to the Jack Nicklaus designed Shoal Creek, and we were there.


It could not have been a more beautiful day to spend outside and on the course. The only way the day would have been better was if I was playing at Shoal Creek, rather than watching the seniors. It was my first time to see the course (and I can't say that I saw much since I spent all of my time on the 18th hole), but it was beautiful.


We arrived after lunch (I had a tea party to attend with Bennett at school which I didn't want to miss), and met up with some friends at a corporate tent on the 18th fairway. It was a par 4 hole, and the tent was located at the spot where most of the drives landed. We saw several of the fan favorites like Mark Calcavecchia, Fred Couples, Tom Kite, Jay Haas, Fuzzy Zoeller and Tom Lehman hit right in front of us. When we left at the end of the day today, Calcavecchia was the man to beat after earning first place with an impressive 11 under par! We'll see if he can hold onto his gain tomorrow.


No comments: