Monday, December 12, 2011

To the Bathroom We Go!

Preston has been a very stubborn kid from the beginning... He has always preferred me to put him to bed, he calls for me in the middle of the night, he hates eating, and potty training has been of ZERO interest to him. Steve and I have struggled with all of the above issues, but potty training was something we committed ourselves to tackling before year end.

Pres had been doing great when he was naked or in loose pants with nothing on underneath. But the minute he felt something tighter around his bottom, he thought he was in a diaper or pull-up, and just pottied. We tried motivating him with candy, money, more time on the iPad, comparing him to his friends...but nothing worked that well.

However, last Friday afternoon Steve started rewarding him with one skittle every time he went to the bathroom, and he started going (but only when he was at home). He then told him if he went number #2 on the potty, he could have four coins. As soon as Pres awoke last Saturday, we stripped him down, and told him no more diapers during the day. Unfortunately, we had a couple of errands to run, so we made him go before he left. I then packed a change of clothes for Steve, in case he had an accident, and off they went.

What was expected to be a quick trip to the barber's shop turned into a 90 minute excursion because of the long line. Steve debated coming back home, but ultimately decided to stay. He was diligent about asking Pres if he had to go to the bathroom, but he kept getting the same negative response. After an hour without going, Steve took him to the bathroom. While Preston was repeatedly telling him that he "didn't have to go," he was tee-teeing in his pants while standing next to the toilet. Needless to say, Steve was a little upset with him. But he changed him and went back to standing in line. After a few more minutes it was finally Preston's turn for his haircut. Then Steve took his turn and sat in the seat. It wasn't much longer when Preston told him he needed to go potty again, but before Steve could stand up...he had another accident. Oops....

Once home, we put his third outfit on and he did great telling us each time he needed to go. Sunday was more of the same until we left the house to go to the grocery store. I asked him multiple times while in the store, but kept hearing "No" so I thought we might actually make it home. As I was loading the groceries into the car, he stood real still next to me. I looked at him and immediately knew what was going to happen. I started saying "don't do it Pres, don't do it," but it was too late....he did it. Oops...

So Monday was a school day and I sent him to school with 3 changes of clothes and told his teacher "good luck." Since he had still not used any toilet but ours, I was confident he was going to have a tough day at school. So you can imagine my surprise when I was in carpool to pick him up and he was in the same clothes I dropped him off in...tears in my eyes (and I am not lying)! Since then, he has been doing fantastic!! We have not had a tee-tee accident since Sunday, and he has christened every toilet in town! Our only problem now is #2, and trying to get him to use a potty for that. We've had two accidents and I think he has been holding it in some. However, he did use the toilet tonight, so I think we may be over the hump.

Time will tell, but I think I can safely say that my little boy is finally potty-trained (thank the Lord)!!

No comments: