Sunday, March 25, 2012

Spring Break 2012

This year for the kid's spring break, we asked my parents to come watch the kids so we could go skiing. Thankfully they agreed, so we packed our bags and headed west to Park City, Utah. We skied in Deer Valley two years ago in March and had a ball, so we decided to do it again!

I left Birmingham's 85 degree weather in flip-flops (shocker, right?), and landed in Salt Lake City where it was a much cooler (yet mild) 45 degrees. As we departed the airport, all we could see were mountains in every direction. The scenery out here is just gorgeous! As we drove into P.C., we picked up our skis, hit the grocery store for some essentials and then bought our lift tickets. After relaxing for a couple of hours, we drove over to the St. Regis, took the gondola up at sunset and enjoyed dinner by the fireplace in their bar.




Last year, we decided that we do better eating breakfast at the house (thank you Aunt Sue and Uncle Jim for letting us stay in your beautiful place), then hitting the slopes as they open up. Rather than stopping for lunch, we bring along a bottle of water and a protein bar and power through as many runs as we can. On our first day, we skied for 4.5 hours and did 22 runs! We felt great, and the conditions were awesome.







On day 2, the temperatures got a little warmer so we knocked out as many as we could before the slush really kicked in that afternoon. Unfortunately I was suffering from "shin bang" and cut my day a little short (only doing about 15 runs), but Steve stayed out another hour and got to 20 for the day. That night we browsed a few shops in Park City, before dining at Prime Steakhouse.


After sleeping 10 hours (which neither of us has done in ages), we hit day 3 with a plan to hit the lower mountain early and work our way up. But I knew as soon as I got my boots on that my shin was going to cause me problems again. We hit the slopes regardless and I tried to ski through the pain. After several hours, I was at my breaking point. But then Steve saw Michael Jordan, which turned my attitude around. We were going to ask him for a photo, but as we approached him, his ski instructor shuck his head at us. Michael must have noticed, so he flashed me that million dollar smile and said "hello." I smiled back and told him that I was a huge fan and loved him. We then rode the lift up and got our cameras ready since he was a few chairs behind us. Steve snapped this one as he skied on down the hill. We quickly followed him, and noticed that he is a pretty good skier....even though he had an instructor. We later found out he owns a home here and skis and golfs here often.


After my high of seeing him wore off, the pain set in again and we decided to cut our day short. We did a beeline for the Stein Erickson and sat outside to people watch and eat a late lunch. They have a wonderful buffet! I had a great healthy lunch, except for my 4 desserts!! :) It was too hard to choose from all of the wonderful things, so I had to have several rice krispie treats, cream brulee and a piece of flan...YUMMY!!

Our last day, we spent shopping at the outlet mall and relaxing. We also had a nice Italian dinner out, and just enjoyed our time together. It was great trip, and we're happy we had the opportunity to hang out together. It is also nice to not worry about the kids and dog while we are away....as we knew they were in good hands. In fact, here are a few photos that my mother sent us during the week to prove all the fun they had!




Spencer had it made napping with Poppy in bed
Pres insisted on wearing his wool cap and coat in 70 degree weather!

The kids riding a camel at the zoo!


The 4 older grandkids

No comments: