Monday, August 20, 2012

Bennett's 1st Day of Kindergarten!

Mrs. Greer & Bennett at orientation
 It is hard to believe that my little girl is old enough to go to "big school," but she is.  In fact, she started kindergarten today!  She has Mrs. Greer as her teacher, who she met last week, and I think it will be a good year.  Initially, Bennett was sad because she was separated from all of her little girlfriends (9 in total, and 2 are in each of the other 4 classes).  However, I think it will be a good opportunity for her to make new friends, so I am not upset.

Bennett before school
Mrs. Greer loves dogs, and calls her students the "kennel club."  Guess who she has a lot in common with her already??  Each day, Bennett starts with 6 bones in her dog bowl.  If she can make it all day without any warnings, she gets a stamp in her book.  However, if she makes a bad choice, then she starts getting bones taken away from her.  She didn't lose any bones on her first day (yeah!).
Walking through the tunnel to school

When we walked her to school, we took a few photos and then walked her to her room.  We got a little lost (don't ask me why because the school really isn't that difficult to get around), but made it in without any tears.  Bennett was a little hesitant to enter the room, but she didn't look back once she was in, and we weren't allowed in.

On our way home, I cried a little.  It is just so hard to believe that my baby, my first born, is off to school!  However, once I got back in my routine I was fine.  The weird thing though was at 12:30, I started getting antsy, thinking I needed to go get her soon.  Since I have been on the 9-1 schedule for the past 4 years, it will take a little getting used to these longer days.

In fact, shortly thereafter, I started thinking about Bennett and how her day was going.  Hoping she was having fun and meeting new friends....

Pres wishing her well



Me holding back the tears

Finally 2:30 pm rolled around, so Pres and I started to get ready to leave.  We left our house at 2:45, didn't get Bennett and Caroline into the car until 3:20, and didn't get home until almost 3:30.  Needless to say, carpool line SUCKED!  I am definitely walking from now on, unless it is over 100 degrees because I think it will be faster!  But it is not about me....Bennett had a wonderful first day of school!
All smiles after school!

Bennett & Caroline (1/2 of the "Mayfair Girls" Carpool)
She and Caroline were all smiles as they loaded into the car, and chatted the whole way home about their day!  When we got home, I started asking Bennett more specific questions about her day, and here is how it went:

Me: Did you have a good day?
B: Yes
Me: Did you eat all of your lunch? (she ate the school lunch today)
B: I ate all of my chicken and some of my mashed potatoes, but not all because they weren't as good as Mimi's
Me: What did you learn today?
B: A lot of rules!
Me: Who did you play with the most?
B: Miley
Me: Who did you sit next to at lunch?
B: Miley
Me: What was your favorite part of the day?
B: All of it

I hope Bennett's enthusiasm doesn't wane, and the rest of the year goes as well as today did for her!  She is a precious little girl who we love more than words.

No comments: