Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Back to School....Two of the Three!

Here in Alabama, the children return to school fairly early....as in the second week of August.  Since we had a busy summer, our summer flew by.  August 7th, the kids went to school to meet their teachers.  Preston got Miss Taylor for Kindergarten, and Bennett got Ms. Morrison for the 2nd grade.


That evening, Steve took Pres to the popsicle party for all incoming kindergarteners.  All of the kids receive a necklace that matches their classmates.  The idea is to find other kids with the same colored necklace, but it never works out like that.  They always gravitate towards the familiar faces.  Though these three rascals have been friends through preschool, they were separated in kindergarten.  In fact, Preston only knew one person in his class, Anna, who has been a friend from preschool the past couple of years.
Pres, Batch & George
Pres and Anna

Though we were all ready for school to begin, it snuck up on us.  We were still staying up late, getting up early, running wild and overall just exhausted.  So though we went to bed earlier than our normal nights, lunches were packed, and clothes were chosen...we still RAN out of the door for the first day of school.

Steve went into work late that day so he could see the kids off.  And even though I had an extra set of hands, I was seriously out of practice with our morning routine.  We were able to get a few pictures before we left the house, but then we RAN out the door.  Once we parked near the school, we briskly walked through the tunnel before snapping a couple more pics and rushing them into the school before the tardy bell.  The whole morning was so hectic, I didn't have time to really think about it and get upset.



However, as the day went by, I was shocked with the amount of time I had on my hands.  When 1pm approached, it reminded me of the time that I have picked up Preston for the past five years.  Though I still have Walker home with me, the day is long.  So even after hitting the gym in the morning, running any errands I need to do, working a little....I still have free time.  It is weird, but I know I will get used to it!

Needless to say, my first week was nice.  I spent a lot of quality time with Walker, got to exercise Beckham daily, and felt good by the time the big kids came home.  In addition, the kids have lost TV and IPad privileges, so we are having fun jumping back into the school routine of homework, playtime and dinner.

No comments: