Tuesday, November 18, 2014

SMU 20th Reunion

KKG pledge sisters
It is SUPER hard to believe that it has been 20 years since I graduated from college.  When I think about all that has happened over the past two decades...it seems like a lifetime.  However, when I flew back into Dallas, and met up with my sweet sorority pledge sisters, it was as if only a couple of years had passed. 

The four years that I spent at SMU changed me....and for the better.  I was a shy girl when I left Peoria in 1990, but when I graduated...I was a much more confident social woman.  What a wonderful gift...a paid college education in one of the largest cities in the US, and friends for a lifetime.  Steve and I can only hope to provide our children with the same opportunity.

Kris, Kay and Cyndi
Though things seemed to be "the same" when I got back with my friends....a lot had changed.  Everyone has gotten married, we have children now, some still work, and we are all busy with life after college.  However, with all of that...we still manage to keep up with each other thanks to social media.  Thankfully, Merry and Chad Vose hosted a cocktail party for all of us Friday night, which provided us the opportunity to catch up in a quieter environment.  Though only half of our pledge class made it back, it was still so much fun! 


Following their party, Kay, Kris and I headed to Rustic for a party put together by some SAEs and Phi Delts, along with many Kappas.  I had so much fun catching up with the guys, and meeting some of their spouses.  Like myself, many people traveled alone which made for a lot of fun too because we didn't have to bore our spouses with small talk and reminiscing. After that party wrapped up, we headed to a favorite old college bar.

Kay, Eva, Lauren, Cyndi, me and Kris
The Green Elephant was always a crowd pleaser, and it shockingly had not changed a great deal over the past 20 years.  Fortunately for us, the drinks were still cheap so we continued to partake.  It is hard to imagine that we were still standing at 2pm....due to the cocktails and the fact that it was SO LATE!!  All I can say is thank goodness Dallas has Uber. 

Saturday morning started off slow, but we weren't itching to do anything due to the cold weather.  So we headed to Snuffer's for some greasy food and cheese fries!!  Afterward, Kris and I went shopping for a bit and then came back to our room to relax and watch the Bama game while we got ready.

Lauren (KKG) and Trey (Phi Delt) co-host a tailgate, so we bundled up and headed to campus to finish watching the Bama game and watch the SMU Homecoming parade.  When the sun was up, it wasn't too bad....but when the sun set it got SO COLD!!  We were definitely not dressed warm enough (fashion over comfort isn't always the way to go).  All I can say is thank goodness I purchased the down filled coat!

When we couldn't take it anymore, we headed out to dinner before our class party.  Then we Ubered over to our reunion party.  I was shocked I didn't see more people I cared to see that I hadn't already been hanging out with before.  Due to the previous late nights, we called it a night around midnight.

Kay left early Sunday morning, but Kris and I had a late afternoon flight out so we made the most of the day.  We had lunch, visited the George W Bush Museum, and had a photo opp in front of the new Kappa house.  A great ending to a fantastic weekend!



No comments: