Monday, July 6, 2015

Mom's Surprise 70th Birthday Party

Several months ago my father decided to throw my mother a surprise birthday party for her upcoming 70th birthday!  It sounded like a great idea at first, but ended up being a little more difficult than we anticipated.  Since my father isn't very savvy on his smartphone, she set up his phone where all of his emails go to her phone and iPad - which really hindered our opportunity to communicate behind her back.  So my dad snuck in calls to me on his way to rotary, the gym and whenever he ran errands and we slowly pulled the party together.

Steve, the kids and I drove in Wednesday before her party to visit with a couple of friends and handle any last minute party details.  Since she didn't know we were in town, we had to steer clear of Peoria Heights.  The night of the party, Aunt Sue, Uncle Jim, Brian's family and all of us went to the Country Club of Peoria to greet the guests. 

About 65 people attended her party, and though she suspected something was going on when she came down the steps....she didn't know how big it would be, nor did she know that we were all in town!  She was thrilled to see all of her grandchildren, and then seeing her sister through the crowd topped off her night!  She cried some, and enjoyed talking with all of her friends over the next 2 hours.
grandkids with golf themed birthday cake



kids loved playing instruments
 
 
 
 
All of the family after the party
We all enjoyed the delicious food, and listening to the band play music from her era.  After the party wrapped up, all of the family went back to my parent's house to hang out and catch up more.  Saturday, we took the kids back to the CCP to swim.  Then we enjoyed burgers at my parent's.  Sadly, the Bantas and Blairs left on Sunday, so it was much quieter. 

blue tongues from slushies


Kids spent almost an hour building stuff!
Though it wasn't raining like we anticipated, we decided to visit a new museum in Peoria.  It was an interactive, science-type museum which all three of the children enjoyed.  We were there several hours, and probably could have stayed longer if we weren't so hungry.  So, we headed out for hotdogs and ice cream at one of my favorite spots....The Ice Cream Shoppe.  Whenever I return to Peoria, I have to hit all of my favorite spots.

Walker loved the "floating balls"

Poppy showed him how it worked
 
who doesn't love ice cream?
Though it was a fast 4 day trip, not including our two travel days....we all had fun!  The kids all traveled there and back wonderfully, and I got to see a few friends and spend time with my family.  I'm still a little shocked that we were able to pull off the party, but mom swears she didn't know.  So happy 70th birthday to my mom....who is really celebrating this week!

No comments: