Monday, September 14, 2015

Don't Turn Around for a Minute!

6 months old - happy baby!
I have always heard from friends that the "babies" in the families are the most adaptable babies, but grow up fast, and ultimately give you the most grief.  So far....Walker is right on the money with those statements! 

Walker was an absolutely wonderful baby!  He slept through the night at 7-8 weeks, was happy and content regardless of not having a rigid nap schedule (which was hard to do with carpools and big kid schedules).  He was a great eater at a young age, bypassing most baby food and going straight to table food.  He never took a pacifier, and easily transferred to sippy cups by age one!  He was a dream, right?!

just under 10 months
Walker was also my earliest walker, at 10 months.  He had no fear and mastered going up and down the stairs in our house by 1.5 years old, and was a professional climber of any and all pieces of furniture!  If he wanted something, he would just push something to a nearby counter and get it.  He also didn't need to whine long for Bennett or Preston to give him what he wanted.  Because of all of this, the writing was on the wall this summer.  I knew that he was going to be more challenging than my other two, so I panicked and enrolled him in an additional mother's day out program so he would go all five mornings of the week.  I felt a little guilty at first, but it didn't last.





In fact, my mental well-being is much healthier now that I have all of my mornings to myself to exercise, clean, run errands and work.  I have found that I can not leave Walker alone for more than a minute before he finds trouble!  His latest was something that occurred in less than 5 minutes.  I left him sitting at the breakfast counter (the big kids had just left for school), so I could go put my hair up and brush my teeth.  I came out to find him drawing circles with a black sharpie on my sofa!!!!!  I went completely crazy, screaming and twirling around in a rage.  During my spinning, I noticed his artwork on 3 other chairs in my living room, in addition to a stool and several areas on the hardwood floors and a glasstop table.  Steve was out of town, but that didn't stop me from calling him in hysterics asking for help.  Minutes later I got several text messages with youtube videos on how to remove the stains from him.  I immediately started cleaning, and wasn't having much luck, so I took pictures and posted them to Facebook, asking for help.  During this whole period (about 45 minutes), Walker didn't move from where I put him during my freak-out episode.  He just stared at me, as if he didn't know me.

Thankfully a dry cleaner was able to successfully remove 90% of the stains (who would've guessed to use a dry cleaner?), but it was that morning that I stopped feeling guilty about putting him in "school" 5 mornings a week.  Walker needs interaction with others all of the time, whether it is playing with friends, running around outside, or being read books.  So I am a complete believer that I made the right decision for this time in his life.  I am hoping he rounds the corner after his 2nd birthday, as I would love the opportunity to spend some time with him one on one, but I need to be able to trust him for longer than a minute.  So until he is interested in TV, or can entertain himself for 20-30 minutes safely.... I guess he will continue his 5 day a week regimen at mother's day out.

No comments: