Locks of Love is a non-profit organization that provides hairpieces for financially disadvantaged children who are suffering from long-term or permanent medical hair loss. When I told Bennett that some little girls don't have any hair because they are sick, she loved the idea of sharing her hair. Hair donations must be at least 10 inches long, so we had to wait a few months to ensure it was the right length. In fact, we tried to get it cut after her dance recital, but they have to cut about an inch above the ponytail, which I had not accounted for, so it wasn't quite long enough.
We gave it another month to grow a little more, and kept talking about it so she wouldn't forget. I don't think she quite grasped the concept initially. But sadly we have had to add several people to our prayer list because they have cancer. After trying to explain cancer to a 3 year old, it was almost easier to just explain the horrific side affects of their medicine and how she could help by donating her hair.
I measured her hair today, and it was perfect. So after naps, we showered and dried her hair. It has to be clean and dry before mailing it to them. We then drove to Great Clips for the big deed. Great Clips gives free haircuts to those donating their hair to Locks of Love.
Here's Bennett after her new haircut!