Saturday, February 2, 2019

HMS Winter Jam

Homewood Middle School holds a winter party every year, but this is Bennett's first dance and we were both excited!  Bennett and I went shopping several weeks ago, and found an adorable dress.  I knew it would be perfect with some black tights and booties, and she agreed.  I surprised her with mini feather earrings (her first dangling), and she was thrilled!  It totally completed her look.

We tried to schedule an appointment at Blo Hair Salon to get her hair done, but they were all full in the afternoon, so a friend of mine stepped in and helped out.  Marianne Siegel did a fantastic job, and really did exactly what Bennett wanted.  I put a little make-up on my pretty girl, and WOW....this is the final look!  Isn't she stunning?


B with Ada McElroy

About a month before the party, Cass Klimcak and I decided to host a pre and post party for any 6th grade girl.  We were trying to avoid exclusiveness, and also provide an opportunity for each girl to walk into the dance with someone.  We initially thought it might be about 50 girls, but as we kept hearing from people, we realized that number would be greater.  By the time the day rolled around, everything was in order, and the dressed up 6th graders kept on entering the Klimcak's house.  By the time we were ready to take a group picture, we had 85 girls signed in for the party!!
Over 85 young women - I couldn't even get them all in the picture!
Tate Robertson, Emerson Buck, Carmen Klimcak and B
Ada, Annie McBride and B at the dance

The middle school dance allowed the 6th graders to stay from 6-7:30 (the other grades each got an extra 30 minutes).  Following the party there, parents brought the girls back to our house for an ice cream party!  I thankfully had several moms who helped scoop ice cream and clean up, because I estimated that we had over 70 girls here!  The hour time limit was the only thing that saved me since I am little crazy about messes.  I still can't believe I agreed to host the after party with that many girls eating ice cream all over the first floor of our house.  THANK GOODNESS it was warmer, and I could open our deck because there were over 30 girls out there at one point.

Following the party, Bennett had three of her girlfriends stay the night (since Walker was at Mimi's and Steve and Preston were hunting).  It was the perfect night for company, and it all went very smoothly!

I'm so thankful for Bennett's sweet friends.  She has not gotten caught up in the dramatics of middle school (yet), and has friends that any mother would approve of!  Here's hoping middle school continues to go as smoothly as we have started!